Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

On 05/04/2020 22:31, Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <8e19a96e-f084-3f39-6219-4c157c87521e%marples.name@localhost>,
Roy Marples  <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
Hi List

As we seem to be cutting the cruft from the kernel recently I think it's
time to
remove the kernel handling of router advertisements and leave it to dhcpcd -
there's nothing dhcpcd can't do that the kernel can for RA handling, but the
reverse is not true.

What about systems that don't use dhcpcd? I have statically allocated
addresses at work and don't use dhcpcd currently...

And they will still work.
Statically allocated means you're ignoring router advertisements.

And if anyone doesn't want to use dhcpcd, they are free to use an alternative such as slaacd(8) from OpenBSD.

Does the isc dhcp client offer the same functionality?

I don't see what ISC dhcp client has to do with this?
But, no it does not.

How much code are we talking about?

sys/netinet6/nd6_rtr.c is 2262 lines of code that can go.
Then there is some associated glue in the other bits of netinet6 that can go as well, or become ENOTSUPP.
Parts of ndp(8) can also go that set set RA bits.

Roy