Re: Proposal to remove HIPPI support

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020, Jason Thorpe wrote:

Hey folks --

I am proposing that we remove support for HIPPI.  For those not
familiar, HIPPI (High Performance Parallel Interface) is/was an
interconnect typically used in supercomputer systems, originally for
connecting to storage systems, but also used to connect to other
computer systems ... back in the day (mid-to-late-90s), it was pretty
impressive -- 800Mb/s.  It was originally a parallel copper
interconnect, but was later available over fiber.

Kevin Lahey wrote our HIPPI support code along with a driver for the
Essential Communications "RoadRunner" HIPPI interface, and we used it
on DEC Alphas back when we worked at NASA.  Unfortunately, this code
is not MP-safe, and it's a near certainty that no one has equipment
(nor motivation -- Gig-E is faster) to test updates to this code.

Code in question:

net/if_hippi.h
net/if_hippisubr.c

dev/ic/rrunner.c
dev/ic/rrunnerreg.h
dev/ic/rrunnervar.h

dev/pci/if_esh_pci.c

While this code has a special place in my heart, it seems like a good time to put this stuff out to pasture. Are there any objections?

Hehe!  I remember having to support IP-over-HIPPI when I worked at
Ascend (before they got bought out by Lucent).  What a nightmare it
was!

I am all in favor of removing this code.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:     |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost     |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost   |