Re: Enabling SLAAC for IPv6 by default

On 25/09/2018 08:31, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 08:27:50AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
He's specifically talking about temporary addresses.
dhcpcd enables stable private addresses by default instead.

dhcpcd does however read the net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr sysctl and act
accordingly and thus defaults to what the kernel is setup to do.

I could add an option to dhcpcd to set the sysctls by default in
dhcpcd.conf, but not all OS's allow userland to set temporay addresses which
is why I choose to read the kernel option and re-act accordingly.

I think dhcpcd is doing the right thing. We already have a way to set the
sysctl value, no need for a second one.

It's more of a consistency question.
All network setup bar enabling/disabling temporary addresses can be done in dhcpcd.conf - of course this specific option could be done in sysctl.conf as well.

Roy