Re: Time to retire some ancient network pseudo-interfaces?

Re-reading Jason's email:

> On Jul 12, 2018, at 6:39 PM, Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> Removing a component, even if it's small, is still useful for developers of
> networking stuffs.  We're sometimes annoyed by old, unmaintained codes
> when we need to touch every network components because such codes
> are often written in old fashion and difficult to touch (one noticeable
> example is sys/dev/pci/if_lmc.c).  Also if we want to turn NET_MPSAFE
> on by default, all network components have to be taken care, so reducing
> the number of components just makes the goal close.

Yes, that's exactly my point.  There is a ton of dead wood in there that
just needs to go.  if_lmc.c is another perfect example.

I would vote for removing lmc.

Other examples off the top of my head:

- The Midway ATM driver and the associated netnatm stack.
- The RoadRunner HIPPI driver and associated if_hippisubr (even though that
  one is near and dear to my heart).
- We still have Matt Thomas's original "de" Tulip driver, which was long
  ago supplanted by if_tlp.c (which supports more device flavors and more
  bus attachments)

Then why do we keep "de" exactly? Since there is already a replacement.

- There are some ISA Ethernet drivers that don't support even basic
  features required by modern network protocols (e.g. the "eg" driver that
  doesn't support multicast, for example).

I'm a bit confused here. I don't see any kern conf that has "eg". Unless I'm
missing something, it looks like dead code that has never been enabled.