Re: Time to retire some ancient network pseudo-interfaces?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:10 AM Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 12.07.2018 20:59, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > STRIP is quite possibly the deadest wood in the tree at this point.
>
> I defer decisions from myself. I just personally see no gain in removals
> of drivers, unless it helps something like removal of quirks.

Removing a component, even if it's small, is still useful for developers of
networking stuffs.  We're sometimes annoyed by old, unmaintained codes
when we need to touch every network components because such codes
are often written in old fashion and difficult to touch (one noticeable
example is sys/dev/pci/if_lmc.c).  Also if we want to turn NET_MPSAFE
on by default, all network components have to be taken care, so reducing
the number of components just makes the goal close.

Note that I don't say we should get rid of the components.  What I want
to say is that if you want to leave some codes please keep them fine :-)

  ozaki-r