Re: Static interface routes for IP address on different subnet doesn't send an ARP who-has

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:57:49AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> This does seem like a bug.  It's interesting that it works on FreeBSD,
> since much of the code has shared heritage.
> The basic approach to arp is to have a cloning route ("C" flag) which
> causes arp procesing for addresses within the prefix but for which there
> isn't an llinfo (L) entry.
>   route add -host -link -iface vioif0
> Why are you giving "-link", with no mac address?  That seems wrong, and
> it seems like a bug in route not to throw an error.  The trick is to
> have a routing table entry that will provoke arp.

-link -iface vioif0 makes the kernel create a route with an AF_LINK
sockaddr_dl nexthop whose name is filled w/ vioif0.

I don't think that ARP will operate unless the route is cloning.  Add
the -cloning flag?

It's strange that the MAC was filled with some arbitrary bytes, that
sounds like a bug.

David Young    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981