Re: Increase tcp initial window

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 07:28:53AM -0400, John Hawkinson wrote:
> Loganaden Velvindron <> wrote on Sat, 30
> Mar 2013
> at 01:44:00 -0400 in <>:
> > It seems to be getting a lot of revisions. Other BSDs have also
> > implemented it.
> Loganaden, Greg's criticism is of making the parameter entirely tunable.
> In a fashion that would allow an ignorant user to set an initial
> window of not just 10, but also 20, 40, 50, 100.
> Are you saying that other BSDs permit that?

None of them allows use to set it to an arbitary value.

OpenBSD implements the draft and sets it as a default:

FreeBSD implements it as a sysctl:

Linux has implemented it since 3.0.

What I propose is that we add it as a sysctl, similar to how OpenBSD does.
rfc_3390 = 1 (default behaviour)
rfc_3390 = 2 (draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd)

OR create a new sysctl
initcwnd10 = 0 (default behaviour)
initcwdnd1 = 1 (draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd)

We also amend the man pages to explain to end-users the risks involved
by pointing them to: