Re: Increase tcp initial window

Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden%wolfman.devio.us@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 08:42:12PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>>   From: draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd-08.txt
>>
>>   http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-tcpm-initcwnd-08.txt
>>
>>   This document proposes to raise the upper bound on TCP's initial
>>      window (IW) to 10 segments (maximum 14600B). It is patterned after
>>      and borrows heavily from RFC 3390 [RFC3390] and earlier work in this
>>      area. Due to lingering concerns about possible side effects to other
>>      flows sharing the same network bottleneck, some of the
>>      recommendations are conditional on additional monitoring and
>>      evaluation.
>>
>> My memory is that this draft was quite controversial and has not
>> achieved Proposed Standard status.
>>
>> In general, the notion of allowing user tunability [1] of congestion
>> control to do things which are not generally regarded as safe is a bit
>> scary.
>>
>> But I could be off about the IETF status of IW10.
>
> It seems to be getting a lot of revisions. Other BSDs have also
> implemented it.

Revisions are not a sign of consensus; they are a sign that the author
is revising.

(The IETF web site seems to be broken right now; that's perhaps about
IPv6.)

> Maybe we should try to do the some empirical measurements to see if it has
> too many side effects.

Sure, but that's network research and would be welcome published or
publicized to the tcpm working group.  NetBSD is a fine software base to
use, but it's not really a NetBSD issue.  Empirical measurements are
had; the real question is "what if everyone did this".  It's clear that
one host running a more aggressive transmit algorithm is better for that
host and has no global effect.   But that's not the right question.