Re: pptp between NetBSD and Windows VPN server?

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 02:35:49PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> has anyone successfully used a PPTP connection between a NetBSD machine
> and a Windows VPN server?
>
> I tried with the net/pptp package, but failed miserably.
> Its examples all use MPPE options, which are (according to pppd(8)) not
> available on NetBSD.

There's "pkgsrc/net/mppe-lkm", which adds MPPE as LKM...

----------- snip -----------
gert@kirk:/usr/pkgsrc/net/mppe-lkm$ cat DESCR
To get encryption over a PPTP connection, you need the kernel to support the
MPPE algorithm.  It is used as a PPP compression module, and the mppe-lkm
package provides a LKM (Loadable Kernel Module) that will install the
functionality into your NetBSD kernel.
----------- snip -----------

I'm not sure whether it still *works* - last time I tried it was some
5+ years ago on NetBSD/Sparc64 3.1, but at that time, pptp with mppe
worked fine.

(Admittedly, I was not talking to a Windows Server, but to a Linux box,
but that box also had Windows clients and enforced mppe, so I assume
it would have worked against a Windows Server as well)

> Are there any other software options?

You *might* want to read this:

http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/Der-Todesstoss-fuer-PPTP-1701365.html

and reconsider using PPTP for anything across networks that you do not
know and fully trust (it can still be *useful*, but never ever trustworthy).

I'm currently moving all my customers that are using PPTP towards OpenVPN
(happy to answer questions regarding OpenVPN).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
gert%greenie.muc.de@localhost