Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 07:27:23AM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> > > Because the goal is to be able to reference interfaces by label.
> > > If 2 interfaces have the same label, you don't know which one to choose.
> >
> > And thus, you are saying that you can't see a reason to allow it?
>
> No, I'm saying it's incompatible with one of the goal of label, which
> is to have a user-specifed interface identifier.

Sorry, was there a design document for this that I didn't see? This seems
rather like a circular argument and you have not explained the reason for
the restriction.

> If the label is not unique, it can't be used as identifier.

Why not? If you want to select to an item using a label, just have the
tools find the first one with the matching label. Don't worry that there
might be another, it will be hidden if you only use that label, until the
first item has its label removed..

regards,
iain