Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:57:09PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:
> > So you want add a label to a network interface?
> >
> > Sort of how we can label a disk?
>
> It would be more like a GPT label than a plain disk label, but yes,
> that's the idea.

I do support this concept, and I don't see really why this 'label' cannot
be integrated further into the drivers, eg 802.11 interfaces have a SSID
that is visible externally, the label can be used for that directly. It is
similar a bit to Bluetooth controllers, which have an externally visible
name (currently this cannot be used by tools to select the device, but I
would like to make it so)

> With the restriction that multiple interfaces can't have the same label
> at the same time in a system.

but I don't see why such a restriction should be required. It may be
useful for something, and if the admin wants to label network interfaces
the same, that is their perogative.. the driver name is still a unique
identifier.

regards,
iain