Re: Specifying names for tap interfaces

    Roger> Anything that we can control, like tap-%domid.%devid would be
    Roger> good though. It doesn't have to follow any specific
    Roger> nomenclature, but it will be good to be able to specify two
    Roger> integers, one that corresponds to the domain id, and another
    Roger> one that identifies the specific network card inside that
    Roger> domain.
    >> But that, really, Admins hate having %domid in the device name
    >> because it screws up useful things like SNMP/mrtg on those
    >> devices.

    Roger> I don't really understand this, why does the name of the
    Roger> interface matters regarding SNMP or mrtg? Is this a privacy
    Roger> related issue?

Because, the *mrtg* graph is generally for interface "FOO" (usually
associated with virtual machine "FOO", but naturally machines can have
multiple interfaces).

There are other ways of specifying the interface, but they are generally
not stable across reboots, or restarts of the virtual machine.  In
particular, ifIndex (which shows up in th4e OID) is definitely not
stable (nor should it be).

    Roger> It supports being able to specify interface names in Linux
    Roger> (on the domain config file), for both vif (PV) and tap (HVM),
    Roger> and it has been like this for a long time I think (xend also
    Roger> had this functionality).

I knew it was coming, I just wasn't sure if it had happened yet.

] mcr%sandelman.ottawa.on.ca@localhost http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/
|device driver[
                       then sign the petition.