Re: Old network interfaces still alive?

On 17 Jan 2011, at 12:54 , der Mouse wrote:
>> I'm wondering if anyone still has (working) hardware for any of the
>> following networks and, if so, what device drivers they use?
>
>>    ARCnet
>>    ECOnet
>>    FDDI
>>    HIPPI
>>    Token Ring
>
> I have some fiber interfaces which might be suitable for, at least,
> FDDI.  However, I don't even know whether the hardware works; I don't
> have enough working fiber interfaces to test, and I'm not competent to
> tell the difference between FDDI and Ethernet-over-glass anyway.  For
> all I know some of what I have might be something-else-over-glass
> (token ring? something more obscure?).

That's interesting.  If it has two fiber connectors (i.e. 4 fibers
total) and/or a little round DIN connector in addition to the fiber
there is a very good chance it is FDDI, but if it only has one
(dual fiber) connector and nothing else it is ambiguous and may
very well be fiber ethernet or something else.  Also, if they
were made after about 1998 there's almost no chance they are FDDI;
gigabit ethernet killed what was left of that market.

While my memory is dim, however, I don't think FDDI interfaces by
themselves are enough in any case since I don't think they can just
be connected back-to-back.  I have a feeling that a FDDI hub to stick
between them is non-optional, so if you haven't got a hub to go
with the cards there may be no hope in any case.

Dennis Ferguson