Re: if_wm: support for INTEL 82571EB_SERDES

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, SAITOH Masanobu wrote:

Hi, Matthias.

> Hi -
> I got a board with such a chip. There is practically
> no PHY, no autonegoiation etc. Data are transferred
> on a backplane.
>
> The appended patch makes it work. It is obviously quite
> destructive -- just to show where changes are needed.
> I could turn that into its own set of
> mediainit/change/check functions. Just don't want to
> step onto any maintainer's toes.
> So does anyone care?

I will merge your code and send the diff to you before commit because
I have no serdes devices. Is it OK?

> Another question is what if_media.h mediatype to use.
> Technically it is 1000base-bx (sometimes called -kx).
> There is already a -cx, the only difference is the
> impedance (which is 100ohm). Using cx is wrong, adding
> a new one doesn't make sense because the driver can't
> tell the difference anyway... It's about the same as
> with singlemode/multimode fiber, there is just too much
> nonsense in that header.
>
> best regards
> Matthias

I read the IEEE 802.3 document and it said "1000BASE-BX10", so I should
call it as -BX10.

Tell me what you want me to test and I'll try to get the hardware
together here in my "day job".

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost