Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 13:42:09 Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 04:03:24AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > There, that wasn't that much of a PITA was it?
>
> Well, it's a PITA because, of course, it's not possible to make it
> do what most people who maintain their own configuration files want, if
> they're using DHCP at all: *provide* the information returned by the
> server to code under their control, so they can use it, but not
> *overwrite* the configuration files themselves.

You misundertand :)
I was pointing out that dhcpcd is well documented about enabling/disabling it
stamping on configuration files. I was not suggesting for one moment that
dhcpcd presently allowed the user to do anything beyond that.

> For all its flaws, dhclient really gets this just right, and basically
> every other dhcp client gets it very, very wrong.

Not true. udhcpc from busybox does it like so also, and just like dhclient
it's not that great out of the box.

Thanks

Roy