Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Sunday 13 April 2008 21:13:45 David Laight wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:16:22AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > However, I do think it's fair that if you request an option that dhcpcd
> > knows about, such as NTP servers, then it will configure them for you.
>
> It is a right PITA working out how to stop some DHCP impelentations
> overwriting your resolv.conf file, and configuring a default route
> that isn't supplied by, or is different from the one returned by, the
> DHCP server.

You could always read the fine man page :)
Here, I'll quote to save everyone the effort of looking for it themselves

   Restriciting behaviour
     dhcpcd will try to do as much as it can by default. However, there are
     sometimes situations where you don’t want the things to be configured
     exactly how the the DHCP server wants. Here are some option that deal
     with turning these bits off.

     -A, --noarp
             Don’t request or claim the address by ARP.

     -G, --nogateway
             Don’t set any default routes.

     -L, --noipv4ll
             Don’t use IPv4LL at all.

     -M, --nomtu
             Don’t set the MTU of the interface.

     -N, --nontp
             Don’t touch /etc/ntp.conf or restart the ntp service.

     -R, --nodns
             Don’t send DNS information to resolvconf or touch
             /etc/resolv.conf.

     -T, --test
             On receipt of discover messages, simply print the contents of the
             DHCP message to the console.  dhcpcd will not configure the
             interface, touch any files or restart any services.

     -Y, --nonis
             Don’t touch /etc/yp.conf or restart the ypbind service.

There, that wasn't that much of a PITA was it?

Thanks

Roy