Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 11:03:04PM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> On 4/10/08, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 03:22:55PM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> >  >
> >  > However, you can stop dhcpcd from say installing default routes,
> >  > touching /etc/resolv.conf or doing any ntp changes through command line
> >  > options.
> >

> > Doing any NTP changes?  Please, say more.
> >
> >  I don't want C programs mucking with my daemon configuration files.
> >

> How is this different from messing with resolv.conf?  The sun
> server/client has an interesting set of configurations for handling
> what to send/receive.  (see dhcp_inittab(4))

I don't want C programs mucking with my configuration files.  Period.

It is trivial to move this functionality from the DHCP client itself into
a shell script (or shell scripts) it invokes.  It wouldn't be much harder
to maintain some compatibility with the scripts used by ISC dhclient, by
exporting the same variable names for old and new address, etc.  Roy's
DHCP client would get smaller, and I wouldn't get my ntp.conf or resolv.conf
stomped if I didn't want them stomped.

Thor