Re: Regarding summer of code 2008(writing device drivers)

On 29 Mar 2008, at 22:45, der Mouse wrote:

[...], especially when you take the probability of reuse into
account.  (Hmm -- for NFS, it might be a very promising idea...)

Doesn't most NFS use UDP, and thus not get cached?  I certainly know
that I've seen NFS-over-TCP used seldom-to-never.

Huh? It is actually NFS over UDP that is dying out. NFSv4 over UDP was
removed from the spec by purpose.

I had lots of problems with NFS over UDP with a fast file server (NetBSD-i386 with Gigabit ethernet) and a slow client (NetBSD-sparc, 10Mb/s ethernet).
Switching to NFS over TCP fixed those problems.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/