Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Thursday 20 March 2008 20:34:43 Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 03:22:43PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> >         ~57k (dhcpcd) + ~10k (ifwatchd) = ~67k total
>
> IMO 57KB is still quite a bit for the client only.

With the ARP checking, NTP, NIS, DUID, IPV4LL, resolvconf and writing/reading
info files support removed it weighs in at 36k compiled at -Os.
We could get even more brutal and stop supporting some nice DHCP specific
features such as SIP, classless routes, BPF filters, and others.

For a metric, udhcpc binary weighs in at 26k on Gentoo/Linux i386. And that
does it's interface/routing/resolv config via scripts - dhcpcd does it all in
the binary.

So the question is do you want features or small code?

Let me put it anoher way. Linux has 4 dhcp clients available. Only udhcpc is
smaller than dhcpcd, but dhcpcd has more out of the box working features than
any other client. And it's not that much bigger than udhcpc when compared to
pump and the very bloaty dhclient.

Thanks

Roy