Re: [RFC 2] userconf(4): 2nd proposal

On Sun, Nov 05, 2023 at 01:53:31PM +0200, Staffan Thomén wrote:
> One thing I'd like to point out is that I often find I don't have the
> right keyboard layout or am restricted in some way in from typing in the
> bootloader (glitchy serial connection or really fast repeating keyboard
> or something), so keeping the syntax brief and with as few non-
> alphabetical characters as possible would probably be a good idea.
>
> Just throwing some cents on the pile,

I have been annoyed by that too (a GENERIC kernel has a US qwerty
default compiled in) and I wondered if a supplementary short command
to switch the mapping, in userconf, would not be convenient too (no
need to deal with accented characters or whatever: just providing the
ASCII chars where the engraving of a different keyboard puts there).

For the extra characters, I think what can be accessible on the numpad
is handy (I even had * not accessible with some USB keyboards...).
This leaves the braces (for the groups) more problematic.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/