Re: [RFC 2] userconf(4): 2nd proposal

On Sat, 4 Nov 2023, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:

You can also add, let's say, a `-g' group flag:

uc> list -g			# list all "groups"
uc> list -g drmkms		# list devices in group drmkms
uc> disable -g drmkms		# disable group drmkms

Yep, but know you see what became of the simplifications ;-)

:) Only because I bent over backwards to accomodate "groups" (which
you can skip if have aliases).

I covered the same ground as you to end up with my first proposal, in
order, by the '=' to allow the keep the present syntax alone and to
have a new differing, and imposing double quoting of strings in order
to be able, if needed, later, to have variable names unquoted,
precisely for use in boot.cfg.

I think that my second proposal is the simplest, allowing not breaking
existing and introducing extensions without much typing.

Oh, I like the idea (I've always wanted a mechanism to list drivers
etc. using patterns); it's just the syntax that sticks in the craw.
Too many meta-chars. there.

OTOH, `cmd -p xyz* *abc' doesn't need much thought. And, aliases
are pretty standard too. But, this is your show, n'est pas...?
Don't let me stop you!

-RVP