Re: re-enabling debugging of 32 bit processes with 64 bit debugger

On 30.06.2019 19:19, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>> On Jun 30, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Christos Zoulas <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> I think that our goal is be able to branch 9 with a gdb that works as well as 7 (since it is more broken in 8 because of the 64->32 breakage).
>
> Yah, that's fair... I just think we need to not lose sight of the bigger picture so that we don't paint ourselves into a corner.
>

>> christos
>
> -- thorpej

Please just fix gdb 64bit for 32bit tracee support (actually on the
kernel level) and leave the rest to pulling new gdb/lldb from upstream.

Adding any ad-hoc core structs is imho premature as there are 10 more
important things to fix/support (not listing there to not generate
offtopic).

We are aware about remote debugging and core debugging support and their
needs, we are the only BSD out there with LLDB Remote Process Plugin and
probably the first BSD in GDB soon. I already got gdbserver to build and
run for NetBSD locally, but with stub support that still crashes early.