Re: Missing compat_43 stuff for netbsd32?

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 03:35:24PM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> It's probably only useful for running ancient SunOS 4.x binaries, maybe
> Ultrix, Irix or OSF-1 depending on how closely they followed BSD 4.3.

Actually, I think amd64, sparc64, and mips64 are the only platforms where
it could even be possible to encounter netbsd32 executables that required
system calls that had the "o" names in 4.3BSD.

On amd64, because i386 architecture SunOS 4 executables exist and I am not
sure the SunOS 4 kernel did actually pick up all the new syscalls from
4.3BSD.  Whether such executables would run at all though, I'm not sure;
there is probably other COMPAT_SUNOS code needed that may not work on i386.

On sparc64 because there were releases of SunOS 3 for 32-bit SPARC and
SunOS 3 *definitely* didn't have 4.3BSD's new system calls (thus didn't
have the old ones renamed to o*).

On mips64 *if* EXEC_AOUT or EXEC_PECOFF work, because:
	* Ultrix basically was 4.2BSD.
	* MIPS themselves ported 4.3BSD to the R3000

The first (amd64) and last (mips64) seem pretty much theoretical but it
does seem like there may be 32-bit sparc binaries out there which work
on 32-bit NetBSD but not 64-bit NetBSD.  Whether anyone cares, dunno.

There can be a lot of value to being able to run really old executables,
but you need the right customer in the right state of utter desperation...

Thor