Re: Making a BSD system more braille friendly

	hello Enrico.  I am a blind computer programmer who has been working
with Unix for many years and NetBSD for over 20 years.  I have brltty 5.4
running with a Hims Smart Beetle over a USB connection under NetBSD-5.2.
I've not yet committed my patches to the ugen(4) -current code which make
this setup work quickly and reliably.  I also use a modified version of
Michael Gorse's Yasr screen reading program for speech output.  To emulate
windows, I use the window(1) program from the packages collection.  This
gives me multiple windows, plus the ability to cut and paste from one
window to another.  The tmux(1) program can do most of these things as
well, but I've not taken the time to learn how to use that yet.

	My laptop and desktop computers, have, so far, been equipped with
serial ports which I enable as serial consoles if I need to do some serious
kernel work.  In that case, I take the computer I'm working on and  plug
its serial port into the serial port of another computer and use the
Kermit program from the packages collection to run a terminal connection
over the serial link.  Once I have the kernel working the way I want, I'll
change the boot blocks using installboot to re-enable the standard keyboard
and screen.  Then, I log into the computer without speech, and enable
speech using brltty or yasr once I'm at my prompt.  Yes, this means there
are times when I'm not sure I've fully logged in, but these times are rare,
and if things really aren't working right, I can reeboot and that usually
fixes the problem.

	FreeBSD and OpenBSD can be used in the same manner, though the details
of how a specific setup vary depending on the OS and version you're using.

	If you're interested, I'm happy to share my mods for Yasr and to give
you  bootable images of the version of NetBSD-5 that I'm using.  Also, this
might be insentive enough for me to get my patches committed to the
official OS.
In short, welcome!

-Brian