Re: (patch) Improved documentation and examples of dynamic modules

On Mon, 11 May 2015, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

I've attached new patch.

Thanks - I will review as soon as I can get to it.

For now I will schedule share/man pages for later.
After committing it please remove sys/modules/example.

I went for share/examples/sys/kmodule.

Well, I've done some more thinking on that topic! Greg Troxel has a good comment about continuing to build all the example modules as part of normal 'build.sh release'. In order to do that, and to get all the build goop right (Makefiles, Makefiles.inc, etc.) it will actually be easier to place them in the sys/modules/ hierarchy. So, one might say that I've "had second thoughts."

I would now propose that we remove the existing sys/modules/example/ code and place the several new example modules as subdirectories of the sys/modules/example/ directory. Then the main sys/modules/Makefile can descend into modules/examples, and a new Makefile there can further descend into the multiple subdirectories.

I'll wait a few days (at least) before committing anything, to give the rest of the community an opportunity to respond.

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |