Re: Adding Lua to the kernel and moving Lua source codes

On 10/7/13 3:05 AM, Alan Barrett wrote:
On Sun, 06 Oct 2013, Marc Balmer wrote:
I am in the progress of

- Updating the Lua code in base from version 5.1 to version 5.2
- Commiting the kernel parts from our GSoC project, "Lua in the NetBSD
Kernel"

I still haven't seen a use case for in-kernel Lua. I mean, an example (preferably a working example) of something useful that could not easily be done without in-kernel Lua. I'd prefer not to see it added to the base system without a use case.

I think this (a use case) is absolutely necessary.

Does anything even use the userland Lua in the base system? Some plausible use cases were described some time ago, but have any been implemented?

I would like to see an answer to this question as well. I did a little (admittedly incomplete) looking for in-tree users a few weeks ago, and didn't see any.

+j