Adding Lua to the kernel and moving Lua source codes

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013, Marc Balmer wrote:
I am in the progress of

- Updating the Lua code in base from version 5.1 to version 5.2
- Commiting the kernel parts from our GSoC project, "Lua in the NetBSD
Kernel"

I still haven't seen a use case for in-kernel Lua. I mean, an example (preferably a working example) of something useful that could not easily be done without in-kernel Lua. I'd prefer not to see it added to the base system without a use case.

Does anything even use the userland Lua in the base system? Some plausible use cases were described some time ago, but have any been implemented?

Also, how stable are the proposed APIs to be exposed from the kernel to userland? NetBSD has traditionally tried to provide ongoing binary compatibility for almost all such APIs. If the Lua-related APIs might change in incompatible ways in the future, then this should be explicitly documented.

mrg@ suggestest that I move the Lua source code from src/external/ to src/sys/external, which imo makes sense. Comments requested.

The plan is to import Lua 5.2 sources in src/sys/external, then adjust userland and kernel parts to uses sources from there, and once all works, remove the Lua 5.1 sources from src/external.

If the same source code will be compiled into both the kernel and userland, then I think that src/common/external/<licence>/<name> would be the place for that.

--apb (Alan Barrett)