Re: Kernel based virtual machine

Am 14.10.2012 22:26, schrieb Manuel Bouyer:
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 09:42:29PM +0200, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to ask whether there are plans to port the Kernel based
virtual machine (KVM) from Linux to NetBSD. I already asked that on
the netbsd-ports list, but Hubert Feyrer said that this list could
also be a good place for this.

I personaly think that KVM is a technology for the future and other
OSes for example from the Solaris world (SmartOS) are seem to agree
to this. With WinKVM there is also a Windows port (it's inactive
since a while).
I don't think KVM is such a great idea. I like the idea that the
hypervisor is separate from the management domain(s) like in Xen.

Right now Xen doesn't support rebooting dom0 without rebooting the hypervisor
(but I think this is something that could show up in the future),
but you can delegate management tasks to other domains.

I don't know if I think right, but I would say that the most work is
already done with the QEmu Port, so just the KVM core component
kernel modules must be ported. So I don't know how much the APIs,
driver structures etc. distinguish from Linux and NetBSD but I would
say it would be possible.

Also this would be a great step for NetBSD I think because then
there are Xen, QEmu and KVM are supported so there is
paravirtualization, full virtualization and emulation supported.
Xen can also do what you call "full virtualization", with HVM guests.

I know that there are such features in Xen and I know also that Xen also can run fully virtualization with HVM guests. But I also think that the Xen way is a very complex way and not that easy in every environment. And correct me if I am wrong, the actual version of Xen don't uses the original qemu device model, it have an own device model. When I am right, Xen 4.2 supports the original qemu device model like KVM does since it's beginning.

Best Regards