Re: src/sys/vfs

David Holland <dholland-tech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> As part of future namei work (and also, likely, any nfsv4 work that
> gets done) I'm going to be splitting a number of filesystem-related
> functions into their system-call level and vfs-level parts. The
> primary aim of this is to unify the cut & paste versions of the
> vfs-level parts in nfsd with the mainline ones. It is also a step
> toward having better internal interfaces. All this has been discussed
> before and I don't think it's controversial.

Can you provide a small example of a split i.e. how exactly the current
code would change?

> However, this is going to generate a pile of new functions of the form
> vfs_foo (vfs_stat, vfs_rename, etc.) and I'd like to take the
> opportunity to move the vfs-level code out of src/sys/kern into its
> own directory, src/sys/vfs.
>
> There are two parts to this: (1) depositing new code in the new
> directory, and at some point (2) picking up the old code in sys/kern
> and moving it unchanged to the new directory.
>
> My inclination is to start with (1), and then go ahead and do (2).

Sounds good (src/sys/vfs), but see below.

> I don't have a timeframe for this and I certainly don't expect to do
> part (2) before -6 is released. However, if people are going to object
> to the idea of the reorg, or bikeshed over the name, I'd like to
> thrash it out now so it's settled by the time I'm ready to start
> throwing code around.

Please create a branch for this work.  Otherwise, it will be the same
as with quota changes which were practically unreviewable.  It might
also be worth to do some mechanical split and move of the related code
into a new directory first and then create a branch.  So the final diff
would contain some visible divergence, rather than huge - and + blocks.

--
Mindaugas