src/sys/vfs

As part of future namei work (and also, likely, any nfsv4 work that
gets done) I'm going to be splitting a number of filesystem-related
functions into their system-call level and vfs-level parts. The
primary aim of this is to unify the cut & paste versions of the
vfs-level parts in nfsd with the mainline ones. It is also a step
toward having better internal interfaces. All this has been discussed
before and I don't think it's controversial.

However, this is going to generate a pile of new functions of the form
vfs_foo (vfs_stat, vfs_rename, etc.) and I'd like to take the
opportunity to move the vfs-level code out of src/sys/kern into its
own directory, src/sys/vfs.

There are two parts to this: (1) depositing new code in the new
directory, and at some point (2) picking up the old code in sys/kern
and moving it unchanged to the new directory.

My inclination is to start with (1), and then go ahead and do (2).
Even though we still don't have version control with rename yet, it's
looking increasingly like we won't anytime soon (followups on this
point PLEASE to tech-repository and use a different Subject: line) and
under those circumstances the sooner moves get done the less painful
they are in the long term.

I don't have a timeframe for this and I certainly don't expect to do
part (2) before -6 is released. However, if people are going to object
to the idea of the reorg, or bikeshed over the name, I'd like to
thrash it out now so it's settled by the time I'm ready to start
throwing code around.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost