Re: Issues using KGDB on a Linux machine to debug NetBSD

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM,  <Paul_Koning%dell.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Israel Jacquez wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'll make this short. I can't seem to get debugging support working
>> even when following the guide:
>> <http://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/kgdb.html>.
>> Immediately, I get dropped into DDB. I can only see this through the
>> serial console as the target machine is running headless. After, I
>> invoke i486--netbsd-gdb that (should) read .gdbinit:
>> file sys/arch/i386/compile/obj/GENERIC-DEBUG/netbsd.gdb
>> set remote interrupt-sequence Ctrl-C
>> set remotebaud 115200
>> target remote /dev/ttyUSB0
>>
>> After in GDB, all I see is:
>> warning: unrecognized item "qSupported:xm" in "qSupported" response
>> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>> Ignoring packet error, continuing...
>>
>> Any help? Tips?
>
> To see exactly what's going on, use the gdb command "set debug remote 1"
> before the "target remote" command.  That will show the dialog between gdb
> and the system being debugged.
>
> It looks like the system is sendng something that your gdb doesn't
> understand.  Perhaps it's too old; what version are you using?

The version that was built (i486--netbsd-gdb) is GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.1.

I'll try again. Here is the output. (/boot.cfg is set to automatically
"boot netbsd -d"):

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.3.1
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
--target=i486--netbsdelf".
Sending packet: :xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...Sending packet:
:xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...putpkt: Junk:
>> NetBSD/x86 BIOS Boot, Revision 5.2 (from NetBSD 5.1.2)
>> Memory: 638/1037184 k

     1. Boot normally
     2. Boot single user
     3. Disable ACPI
     4. Disable ACPI and SMP
     5. Drop to boot prompt

Choose an option; RETURN for default; SPACE to stop countdown.
Option 1 will be chosen in 0 seconds.
booting hd0a:netbsd (howto 0x40)
/
Nak
Sending packet: :xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...putpkt: Junk:/
Nak
Sending packet: :xmlRegisters=i386;qRelocInsn+#25...putpkt: Junk:9820128/
Nak
Timeout in mid-packet, retrying
Timed out.
Timed out.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Packet qSupported (supported-packets) is supported
warning: unrecognized item "ebp
db{0}> e" in "qSupported" response
Sending packet: #df...Nak
Sending packet: #df...Ack
Packet received: Hg0
Sending packet: 0#3f...Packet instead of Ack, ignoring it
Ack
Packet received: ?
Sending packet: -1#09...Ack
Packet received: Hc-1
Sending packet: #b4...Ack
Packet received: qC
Sending packet: #8f...Ack
Packet received: qAttached
Packet qAttached (query-attached) is supported
Sending packet: #4b...Ack
Packet received: qOffsets
.gdbinit:5: Error in sourced command file:
Malformed response to offset query, qOffsets
(gdb)