Re: next vforkup chapter: lwpctl

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost>
wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 10:52:16AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>
>> Hi Thor,
>>     Do you have performance metrics to back up your statement below
>> about `FreeBSD build[ing] the system slower than we do' (paraphrased)?
>
> Yes.  I sent it to this mailing list quite some time ago.  Given what
> would seem to be your confrontational attitude (I'm sorry, did I do
> something wrong by discussing NetBSD performance on a NetBSD mailing
> list?  I'm not sure what) I'm not really in the mood to do your Google
> search for you...

Ok, I'll look it up then in the archives. I was just missing context
in this area as I subscribed to the list < 3 weeks ago. I apologize
for being more curt than necessary when I'm busy :).

If it's a valid performance issue where NetBSD is beating the snot out
of FreeBSD in a particular area, then I'll look at where FreeBSD needs
to improve and propose it to the right people in the FreeBSD project.
It's in all of the BSDs best interests that they perform well.

> On the same hardware, Mac OS X is considerably slower still.  There,
> the reason appears to be that the shell is slow, too.

Hmmm... it's a good question whether or not bash factors into that
equation *shrugs*, because some versions of OSX shipped with /bin/bash
as /bin/sh:

 /bin/sh --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin10.0)
$ uname -a
Darwin XXX 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17
PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386 i386

bash does have a lot more features than ash *shrugs*.

Thanks!
-Garrett