Re: netbsd-5.1_RC3 crash at Dell M710

6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost writes:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:03:14 +0200
>> From: Jean-Yves Migeon <jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost>
>> To: 6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost
>> Cc: tech-kern%netbsd.org@localhost
>> Subject: Re: netbsd-5.1_RC3 crash at Dell M710
>>
>> On 13.08.2010 08:52, 6bone%6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de@localhost wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> netbsd crashs at Dell M710. You can have a look at the screeshot at
>>> http://6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/Dell-M710.bmp
>>>
>>> Any Ideas what could be the problem?
>>
>> Most probably, an attempt to read a MSR, which is not allowed/present
>> for that CPU.
>>
>> At ddb prompt, type "bt" and "show reg", so we can see where and how it
>> happens.
>>

> it is not so easy. my M710 is a server inside a blade chassis. console
> access exists only via dell drac server management. it seems, that the
> ddb does not support the keyboard simulated by dell drac managemend
> cards.
>
> thank you for your efforts

Two thoughts on dealing with DRAC:

  drac appears to have both a pckbd0 and ukbd0.  either will take
  console.  remove pckbd from your kernel config, and in ukbd.c hardwire
  that unit 1 gets console, and plug in a keyboard.

  boot with serial console instead (on 0x3f8, which on a 610 is the real
  serial port)