Re: xxxVERBOSE module?

On Sep 6,  9:11am, Paul Goyette wrote:
} On Fri, 21 May 2010, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} > } be loaded during start-up time and then unloaded after the machine is up
} >
} >     It would have to be loaded by the boot loader then.  As far as I
} > know, only the x86 boot loader is capable of loading modules.
}
} I'm almost finished with the PCIVERBOSE stuff...
}
} My current approach is to load the module right before the first pcibus
} is enumerated, and unload when finished.  So we can use the in-kernel

    File systems aren't initialised during autoconf when the system is
being cold booted, thus it isn't possible for the kernel to load a
module at that point in time.  Also consider that on most platforms
with PCI, prior to the first pcibus being enumerated, the kernel
doesn't know anything about any disk drives that may be attached to the
system.

} loader/linker for whichever platforms it supports.  For other platforms
} it will still be possible to set 'options PCIVERBOSE' to generate a
} built-in module.

     Sure, this is the way MODULEs are supposed to work.

} The fun part is making sure that the shared code still plays nicely with
} src/lib/libpci :)

     I don't know anything about libpci, but have fun with that.

} >     Yes, I think it would be very useful.  I was thinking of looking
} > at this myself.  Thanks for taking on this task.  It's one thing I can
} > cross off my TODO list.  :-)
}
} No worries!  When I finish up with PCI, I'll start in on USB.

     I imagine that will be mostly copy/paste.

}-- End of excerpt from Paul Goyette