xsane locks up NetBSD, ulpt and ugen on same device

It has been a couple years since I last posted about this.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2008/04/26/msg001151.html
(no followup I think)

Tried the scanner again, on a different hardware. Still doesn't work.
I am able to detect the scanner on ugen when I "disable ulpt0". (I have
never seen it as uscanner.)

xsane running as root locked up the system twice. No logs and I am not
sure how to troubleshoot it. It doesn't lock up everytime. Sometimes I
can get it to make the scanner make noise (but never scans).

The kernel is NetBSD 5.99.26 on amd64. The userland is NetBSD 5.0 or
slightly newer.

I recall hearing about moving to FreeBSD's USB. Where can I read about
that?

Does anyone have a working scanner? Please let me know what brand,
model, and how. Thanks!