KGDB, serial ports, and MP

I've run into the bug described at:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2010/03/17/msg016596.html

and the proposed fix (splserial) seems to work.  This is on an amd64 VM;
we'll try a physical (multi-cpu) machine as well.

Reading the various messages, I get the impression that KGDB on MP
systems will behave a bit oddly; I don't understand if splserial on one
CPU will keep all CPUs from interrupting and trying to read.  Is anyone
working on a better fix, perhaps even as spiffy as letting gdb switch
among CPUs?

I am guessing that for now one should just boot with a single CPU to use
kgdb.  Does that sound like the right advice?

    Greg