Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:03:31PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> dev_t (however poorly designed you might think it to be) is a part of
> the kernel/application API that has been there forever, and is not
> going away any time soon.

The only property of dev_t that userland really cares is that it is a
number and that it is unique per device. That is fulfilled as long as
e.g. each device is assigned from a monotonically increasing counter.

> Part of what I am seeing when reading this discussion is that it doesn't
> appear as if any two participants have any real idea what the others are
> talking about - everyone is focusing only upon their pet need or desire,
> and no-one is really looking at the big picture.

I don't disagree on this.

Joerg