Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 04:38:03 +0900
Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Lack of chmod/chown/etc in /dev would
> > be a total showstopper (for me, at the very least) for production use.
> Could you tell me the senario how it sucks?
I programm microcontrolers with a serial programmer. I use a serial
connection to the target microcontroler for debugging. So I want to
be able to read/write the serial port device node (e.g. /dev/tty03
or /dev/ttyU0) directely. But I don't want other users grant access to
my serial devices. So I chown the device node to user jkunz and make it
read/writable by that user only.

The Linux devfs solved this problem with an init-script, that changed
ownership and modes after each reboot. Looked a bit awkward to me when
I had to deal with it.

Non-persistent ownership and modes of device nodes is a show stopper.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen