Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:44 PM, haad <haaaad%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> This seems as wrong approach to me. I was in contact with mjf@ when he
> designed his devfs and I think that his approach was not the best but
> reasonable. We do not want to have any sort of static major number
> definition everything should be dynamic. There should be some sort of
> config file which describe what should devfsd do when it receive event
> from kernel. e.g. if usb key with uuid abc was inserted create
> /dev/usb_work_key device.
>
> AFAIK. last version of devfsd was able to handle dynamic major numbers
> and configuring devices accordingly to config file(proplist).

Dynamic major might make sense in transition.  But it's not the goal.
My devfs looks up the device instance via struct device.  dev_t will
be no longer used.

devfsd maps major/minor recorded in filesystem to struct device
instances.  I don't see how dynamic major helps here...

Masao