Re: openat/fstatat functions implementation

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 01:14:00PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
 > But if you want to do it more generally, you could do much better than
 > this.  This way leads, ultimately, to an -at version of each syscall
 > that takes, or can take, a pathname, which is just silly.  The right
 > thing would be to replace pathnames with something more general, and in
 > particular with something which can include representations for things
 > like "start at the directory at fd N", akin to the current "start at my
 > cwd" (spelled "") or "start at my current rootdir" (spelled "/").
 > There currently is no room for this kind of thing, which is one reason
 > this would involve replacing pathnames - pathname strings are
 > insufficiently general to do this right.

This is not a good way to go. (As usual, BTDT, not quite that but
something pretty close.)

Maybe the right approach is to extend or clone fdfs so you can use the
prefix "/dev/fddirs/6/" to specify this behavior? :-)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost