Re: UVM typedef struct

On Jul 22, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Chuck Cranor wrote:

If we feel typedef structs are important, I would be in favor of
some sort of hungarian notation for the type names, so the semantic
information is not lost (e.g. struct vs struct *).   But is it worth
the effort to do that?

If the APIs are designed well, you:

1- Won't be dealing with structs directly, only through accessors / mutators (ABI stability).

2- Won't have to know / care what underlying type you're dealing with anyway.

If we ever want to have a chance of supporting a modular kernel really well, then we need to have better ABI stability in our kernel, which means forcing the issue of opaque types.

chuck

-- thorpej