Re: FreeBSD devfs support on NetBSD 5.0

> I.e. rename() always just fails on my ideal devfs.

That's a substantial enough regression compared to what we have before
that I for one would consider the result unusable.  (At least assuming
you're talking about the /dev finally presented, as opposed to the
devfs underlying the union thingy.)

>> Yes, that's the usual idea of devfs...and as far as I can see,
>> you're handwaving all the hard problems by pushing them off into
>> this magic mapping layer, without offering any idea how to solve
>> them there.
> We already have unionfs -- we just need to copy its code and delete
> all that which deals with data blocks.

So you're also proposing to do away with the ability to have plain
files and non-fast symlinks in /dev?

Those would be more - crippling, in my opinion - regressions.

\ / Ribbon Campaign