Re: genfs ignoring VOP_STRATEGY() buf's returned error

Dear Antti, dear folks,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:20:21PM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Fri Mar 27 2009 at 14:45:15 +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> > Do you think i can commit it? It won't catch all cases but i dont know how
> > it
> > could otherwise be implemented in genfs without digging deep into
> > UBC/UVM/genfs semantics.
>
> Not ok to add non-determinism.
Its not non-deterministic, its predicting and thus can only fail at predicting.

> > Without the patch the cp(1) could copy for megabytes on till it ends even
> > though strategy keep failing for whatever reason.
>
> Fix udf to fail where block allocation should happen, even though you
> don't actually allocate blocks there.

Easier said than done. I'm in the process of rewriting the allocation now
anyway so i could check a hybrid allocation scheme.

Anyway, i still think this vop_strategy() error ignoring is a bad thing. It
only seems to react on ENOMEM btw.

With regards,
Reinoud