Re: Xen i386 PAE

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:50:22AM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Hi Manuel!
>
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 08:27:15AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > I commited the code yesterday; have a look at the XEN3PAE_DOM0 kernel
> > config file :)
>
> YES! I tried it and it worked fine. Xen started to bitch that it could only
> load non PAE kernels but after that all was sorted out it booted dom0. Then
> found out that all the domU's also neede PAE or wouldn't run... oh well.
> Thanks a lot!

Yes, you can't mix pae and non-pae (unless you have HVM domUs).

> Is it recommended to run X on dom0 ? It runs fine but there are lags on screen
> update and i fear thats the cause for the mouse oddities and the occasional
> crash. Could some cache/write-trough issues be responsible?

Could be MTRR issues; I'm not sure all this stuff is properly implemented
in NetBSD/xen. But from memory, the mapping should be write-coherent
by default, so the lack of MTRR support shoundl't cause issues like that.

> Any
> recomendations? Or is Xen really more suited for server type stuff?

I admit I never tried to run X on a Xen system, all my systems have serial
console.