Re: 3.1 USB panic

I have a USB SD card reader.  I had it connected to an i386 machine
running 3.1.  This works fine with a "64MB" SanDisk card.  But I tried
it with a "4GB" Kingston "miniSD" card in the SD-form-factor adapter
which came with it, and it didn't work.  First access attempt stalled,
eventually printing a timeout message.  I was unable to wake it up, so
I pulled the USB cable.

The kernel promptly panicked.

This turns out to be repeatable - I just had it happen again, trying
the Kingston card again - and I can give a detailed report on this
second time.  The timeout message is

umass0: BBB bulk-out stall clear failed, TIMEOUT

and here's what ensued when I pulled the USB cable.  This happened so
fast I couldn't even tell for sure there were lines lost off the top of
the screen.  I also notice one "typo" (the word is inappropriate
because I'm not actually typing this), "syscall_plaio" on the last line
before the "--- syscall" line.  This was obtained fromk dmesg after the
system came back up; since I didn't power it down in the meantime, I
don't know what produced that corruption.

<snip>
Is this worth a PR?  Even if the USB SDcard interface device is broken,
ISTM the kernel shouldn't panic.  But I-also-STM that 3.1 is considered
old enough that people don't care about it.

Hi,

For what it's worth, I PRed a similar incompatibility issue back around
two years ago, the PR is here:

http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=35275

I also did as you did and yanked the device, which caused a kernel
panic for me too.  I thought I'd referenced that in passing somewhere,
but it seems I didn't.

Regards,

Dave