Re: 3.1 USB panic

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:28:41PM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Michael van Elst wrote:
>>> I would most certainly call this a bug. I can pull out SD/SDHC cards on my
>>> EeePC and it doesn't panic (4.99.73).
>>
>> Pulling out a SD/SDHC card will not detach the device, it just makes
>> the drive "offline". Works fine with my external USB card reader too,
>> but not if I pull the card reader itself.
>
> Fair enough, but I still don't think panicing is the right thing to do.

Sure, it is unsuable. I'm just saying that this is not a programming
fault that can be simply fixed, it is a feature that is simply
missing.

See the strangeness implemented in the firewire driver which will not
automatically detach devices to avoid crashes, but with IMHO some
unwanted side effects. Handling hot-pluggable devices should also
be something in a much higher layer than the indvidual device driver.

--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost