Re: Proposal for reporting remote control button presses to userland

On Oct 8, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
I'd like to add a wsremote(4) device that uses its own wsmux. Add new WSCONS_EVENT_REMOTE_UP/DOWN event type definitions, and feed struct wscons_events for button presses/releases.

We'll deliver raw keycodes to userland, and a 'wsremoted' service that can run which loads a buttonmap (it's going to be different for each remote, lets use /usr/pkg/share/wsremote/ ati_tv_wonder_600.plist as an example) and can translate raw button codes to cooked ones on a socket, lets say /var/run/wsremoted.sock. Message format can be something like:

 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
   <key>source</key>
   <string>wsremote0</string>
   <key>event</key>
   <string>button-pressed</string>
   <key>command</key>
   <string>volume-up</string>
 </dict>

An application can then listen on that socket for button presses and do whatever it feels like (application might be MythTV, lirc, mplayer, etc).

Comments?

Can they optionally be translated into keyboard events as well? Or is that what you just said?

I'd sure love my mythfrontends to not be penguix...