Suggestions for reporting remote control button presses to userland

Hey folks --

I have a 24-button IR remote control here that I want to use with NetBSD. My driver decodes the key presses, but I don't know how to deliver them to userland. wskbd seems a bit heavy, and even if there was an easier way I'm not sure how I would represent a button named eg. "DVD menu" or "Guide" with wskbd.

I've hooked the volume buttons into pmf for volume control, but what about the remaining 22 buttons?

Cheers,
Jared