Re: Suggestions for reporting remote control button presses to userland

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:41:20 -0400
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost> wrote:

how do keyboards (or computers) with 'media buttons' work?  If they
translate into some kind of keycode then I think a remote control
should probably just do that also.. (it is a key press on a board
of keys :)
It depends on the keyboard.  Some button presses are just key codes,
some are USB HID events.
I'd look at how MythTV handles remotes -- it might be a good API to
emulate.

I suspect MythTV uses lirc. I am somewhat tempted to create a simple /dev/wsremote interface that allows you to query the encoding type (RC4, RC5/NEC, etc) and then read raw remote codes from it. Let userland (lirc or some replacement) worry about deoding them and mapping keys.