Re: 4.0 chroots, threading, and builds

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 02:30:48AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:35:36 +0000
>     From:        Andrew Doran <ad%NetBSD.org@localhost>
>
>   | If a one line addition to /etc/ld.so.conf is acceptable for you, then it
>   | fits your use case nicely (regularly swapping back and forth between 4.0
> and
>   | 5.0 kernels).
>
> The way I upgrade is by (compiling and) booting the new kernel.
> Absolutely nothing else changes.   If everything works, then the new
> userland can be tested in a chroot to make sure it works, and if all is
> OK, it might eventually get installed.

So you never use IPFilter or pf on your machines?  (I'm sorry if I'm
just breaking the news on you:  there was an ABI breakage in pf so
you'll need a new pfctl.  Yes, it is sad.)

It's not that I don't value your opinion on the subject, but I think
we've seen our share of extreme opinions (in either way) now.  The
picture is not just black and white.

[...]
> I'd like to thank Bill for all the work he's doing on revivesa - to me

Yes, Bill has done some tremendous work, and deserved to be thanked, but
let's also keep in mind that 5.0's brilliance will have a lot to do with
Andrew's work, too.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost